Hi! I’m Cynthia Sotnikow. Author, blogger, and avid traveler. I’m a storyteller and enjoy writing in a visual way that takes the reader along with me. Whether it’s a beautiful and scenic place or a picture in my mind. I hope you will see it and feel you are there with me. Welcome to my life.
My journey of writing began when I first started a blog as a way to share the path of self-discovery during my travels. In 2013, I moved to Italy. Life handed me the reality of losing a job. I chose to look at it as an opportunity. Made a “silver lining plan” and was off to Italy to learn the language and culture. Blogging became my way of taking friends and family along on my Italian life adventure.
In 2014, during my second experience living in Italy, life threw me a health-related challenge. While living and studying near Rome, I became ill. It was a struggle to identify what illness was plaguing me. On top of the language, I had to learn a whole new medical system. I shared the twists of my personal journey on the blog as I spent months trying to understand what was ailing me. I returned to Canada and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I continued the blog and shared the reality of life during this challenging time through diagnosis and treatment. In my honest and sometimes humorous way, sharing the ups and downs of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and the journey back to health. My approach was optimistic as I navigated the experience with mindfulness and creative visualization using sparkles in various forms helping the healing process.
The day I learned the identity of my health nemesis, my mantra was born. After almost 6 months, I had finally received a diagnosis and signed off the blog post, “I Sparkle On…one day at a time.” Many of the posts on my blog became the basis for this book. My hope is to help others going through tough times and give them tools to find courage and inner strength for their own personal journeys.
In December 2017 I celebrated two years on the good side and look forward to getting many more stamps in my passport. Travel is always on my mind.
Quirky things about me:
- I’m just a tall 5-year-old, a kid at heart who loves bugs, birds, and jumping in puddles.
- I used to be afraid of heights, thankfully a quick therapy session fixed that!
- One of my favourite things to do when travelling, visit grocery stores to see what interesting and different foods are available locally. I love food!
- I love slow mornings, drinking coffee and snuggling with my cat.
- I completed the Honolulu Marathon in 2011, walked the entire way due to injury. My finish time 7:36:17!
- The end of my nose moves like a bunny when I talk. ha!
- Airplane mode is my favourite feature, it brings peace and silence to my world.